F A C U L T Y P R O F I L E
D'ARMIENTO, JEANINE, M.D., Ph.D.
The role of matrix metalloproteases in disease and the inhibition of these enzymes as potential therapy in destructive lung diseases.
Office: Physicians & Surgeons | 12 th floor | Room 401
The major goal of my research program is to develop insight into lung physiology and pathology through understanding the mechanisms altering lung injury and repair and translating these findings into practical clinical solutions. My research studies mainly focus on the role of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP) in normal physiology and in human disease integrating both in vitro and in vivo approaches. My laboratory is also uniquely situated to characterize the molecular changes in the study of smoke-induced injury and disease so as to identify potential therapeutic targets for smoke induced disease processes.
1. D'Armiento J, Dalal SS, Okada Y, Berg RA, Chada K. Collagenase expression in the lungs of transgenic mice causes pulmonary emphysema. Cell. 1992;71(6):955-61.
2. Imai K, Dalal SS, Chen ES, Downey R, Schulman LL, Ginsburg M, D'Armiento J. Human collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase-1) expression in the lungs of patients with emphysema. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2001;163(3 Pt 1):786-91
3. Mercer BA, Kolesnikova N, Sonett J, D'Armiento J. Extracellular regulated kinase/mitogen activated protein kinase is up-regulated in pulmonary emphysema and mediates matrix metalloproteinase-1 induction by cigarette smoke. J Biol Chem. 2004;279(17):17690-6
4. Foronjy RF, Mirochnitchenko O, Propokenko O, Lemaitre V, Jia Y, Inouye M, Okada Y, D'Armiento JM. Superoxide dismutase expression attenuates cigarette smoke- or elastase-generated emphysema in mice. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2006;173(6):623-31
5. Foronjy R, Imai K, Shiomi T, Mercer B, Sklepkiewicz P, Thankachen J, Bodine P, D'Armiento J. The divergent roles of secreted frizzled related protein-1 (SFRP1) in lung morphogenesis and emphysema. Am J Pathol. 2010;177(2):598-607. PMCID: 2913334
6. Geraghty P, Dabo AJ, D'Armiento J. TLR-4 contributes to cigarette smoke (CS) induced matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1) expression in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Biol Chem. 2011
7. Lemaitre V, Dabo AJ, D'Armiento J. Cigarette smoke components induce matrix metalloproteinase-1 in aortic endothelial cells through inhibition of mTOR signaling. Toxicol Sci. 2011;123(2):542-9. PMCID: 3179676
8. Goldklang M, Golovatch P, Zelonina T, Trischler J, Rabinowitz D, Lemaitre V, D'Armiento J. Activation of the TLR4 signaling pathway and abnormal cholesterol efflux lead to emphysema in ApoE-deficient mice. American Journal Of Physiology Lung Cellular And Molecular Physiology. 2012;302(11):L1200-8. PMCID: 3379042